What is Textured Skin? (and What Causes It?)
Skin texture is the condition of the surface of your skin. Textured skin is bumpy, uneven skin that is caused by a buildup of dead skin cells and sebum. Texture can also be caused by acne scarring and aging.
Most people want their skin to look smooth, but texture is a common struggle for many people as it has so many diverse causes. However, texture can be treated with a good skincare routine and healthier lifestyle choices.
Let’s see what OxygenCeuticals recommends for textured skin!
You’ve probably heard of double cleansing, the world-wide skincare phenomenon that was born in South Korea. The concept is simple: use an oil-based cleanser as your first step, and then follow it up with a water-based foaming cleanser.
But why? Well, simple soap and water can’t remove oil or oil-based impurities from your skin. Water and oil don’t mix. So, you need an oil-based cleanser to remove that oil-based debris from your skin: like makeup, sunscreen, sebum, and other pollution.
Once you get rid of that entire gunk, your second-step water-based cleanser can reach deeper into the skin and remove dirt, sweat, and grime. Therefore, you get a much more thorough, penetrative cleanse.
OxygenCeuticals’ Double Makeup Remover is cleansing oil that melts away makeup while keeping the skin soft and hydrated. Formulated with Soybean Oil, a natural vegetable oil that contains linoleic acid to help strengthen the skin’s moisture barrier.
Since most makeup and sebum are oil-based, you need an oil to effectively remove them from the skin. A regular foaming cleanser can’t reach that deeply into the pores to clean them out.
The Double Makeup Remover also contains Vitamin E for nourishment and moisture, as well as Korean Dendropanax extracts for firming up and evening out the skin tone.
To use the Double Makeup Remover:
- As a makeup remover
- Soak cotton pads with appropriate amount of cleanser.
- Leave cotton pads on eyes or lips for 10-15 seconds.
- Gently wipe off makeup.
- As a cleansing oil:
- Take an adequate amount of cleanser.
- Mix the cleanser with water.
- Gently rub all over the fcae.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Follow up with second step foam cleanser.
This is a wonderful 1st step cleanser for those who want to double cleanse without drying out their skin. It contains Safflower Seed Oil, Kyounin Yu, and Algin. Safflower Seed Oil contains linoleic acid which helps maintain your skin’s protective barrier and prevents flaking. It offers both occlusive and emollient properties that moisturize and nourish the skin. Algin, also known as alginic acid, is a naturally occurring polymer extracted from brown algae. This makes it an emulsifying agent that helps thicken the product’s texture while providing binding moisture to the skin that doesn’t evaporate away.
To use this cleanser:
- Take an appropriate amount and gently rub all over the face.
- Use a tissue, cotton pad, or sponge to remove.
- Follow up with second step of cleansing with the Purifying Foaming Wash or Pore Mask.
- This cleanser can be used as a stand-alone cleanser if you don’t wear heavy makeup.
This foam cleanser is one of our most popular and best-selling products with both retail and professional customers.
Infused with pure Oxygen, the Pore Mask is a fluffy, bubble foam cleanser. Containing Stearic Acid (a natural fatty acid), the cleanser effectively absorbs and removes impurities from pores. Lavender Oil in the formula controls sebum production, which leads to less breakouts and a smoother complexion while Pursley Extracts keep the skin moisturized and soothed from inflammation.
To use the Pore Mask:
- Take an adequate amount of cleanser and lather with water.
- Gently massage the foam onto your skin.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Mix with 10-15ml of Cryogenic Activator to create an even thicker, longer-lasting foam.
This natural, plant-based foaming wash helps to minimize pores while removing impurities, makeup and dirt. Dimethyl Sulfone and Botanical extracts create a rich foam to cleanse while simultaneously delivering essential nutrients to the skin. Its Botanical ingredients are made up of Rehmannia Glutinosa Root Extract, Saururus Chinensis Leaf/Root Extract and Apricot Kernel Extract. These ingredients provide anti-inflammation and antimicrobial effects without stripping the skin.
It’s even been skin irritant patch tested to work perfectly on sensitive skin types, making it a wonderful cleanser for acne as well as dry skin.
To use this cleanser:
- Take an adequate amount and lather with water.
- Gently apply on the skin and gently rub.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Can be used as a stand-alone foaming cleanser if you don’t wear heavy makeup.
After cleansing, you need something to wipe off the last tiny bits of dirt and grime that your cleanser just didn’t catch. Not to mention, there are many toners that provide moisturizing benefits as well as toning.
OxygenCeuticals’ Toning Gel is a ultra-light and fast absorbing gel toner that is gentle on the skin. Its soothing ingredients, Centella Asiatica Leaf and Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extracts, relieve irritation and pain on the skin, especially after facial treatments.
But it doesn’t just sooth. It also contains anti-aging agents, Adenosine and Allantoin, to improve skin elasticity and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Its versatility is what makes the Toning Gel such a great product.
You can use it as a toner after cleansing by applying it to the skin and then patting until absorbed. However, it has a few more wonderful uses!
- To create an ultra hydrating mask, mix with the HA Gel.
- Apply the mixture on your skin and leave it on for 15-30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- If you’re a spa or esthetician, leave on during Oxygen Mist Therapy for an extra boost of nutrients!
- For atopic dermatitis:
Other uses include:
- As a conducting gel for ultrasonic wave treatment
- As a cooling gel after waxing
- One of our bestselling toners, the Nutrient Toner contains Hyaluronic Acid, Allantoin, and Portulaca Oleracea Extract. Hyaluronic Acid, also known as Sodium Hyaluronate, is a humectant. A humectant is a substance that helps the skin hold in moisture. Therefore, this toner will keep water from evaporating from the skin and leave it full and bouncy. Allantoin is an anti-aging ingredient that aids in the process of skin cell turnover. This means it will keep the skin smooth once the dead skin layer is shed off. Dry, dead skin can appear flaky and result in the formation of fine lines.
When using this toner, your skin will feel like it’s drunk its fill of pure moisture and it will continue to feel that way for a long time, as it’s formulated to keep the moisture in.
To use this toner, after cleansing:
- Soak a cotton pad with the toner.
- Wipe the pad across the face to remove impurities and hydrate the skin.
- This toner can also be used to make a DIY mask pack by soaking cotton pads in the toner and leaving them on dry spots on the face for 5-10 minutes. This will allow the toner to properly soak into the skin.
If these two toners don’t do the trick for your textured skin, try the Skin Balancing Toner. Sometimes a pH imbalance in your skin can lead to excess oil production, the Skin Balancing Toner will refresh and soothe such skin.
Every once in a while, you have to exfoliate your skin. Maybe once or twice a week, depending on your skin type and what products you use. Exfoliating is essential for those who want a brighter, healthier glow on their skin. And that’s because exfoliation helps remove dead skin cells by breaking the bonds that glue them together, allowing new skin cells to rise to the surface.
Exfoliating, or peeling, can also be a kind of ‘third-step’ cleansing. Your exfoliating product can get rid of any of the deeply hidden dirt and debris in your pores that your first two cleansers missed.
Peeling can help get rid of the damaged skin cells that manifest as fine lines or wrinkles on your face. Peel away those cells and replace them with bright, soft, youthful skin!
The Daily Botanicals Enzyme Peel is a gentle, gommage peel. ‘Gommage’ comes from the French word for ‘erasing’. A gommage peel works by applying a cream or paste to the skin, letting it sit for a minute or so, and then rubbing the product into the skin. When rubbed, the product will curl up into little balls that resemble something like pencil shavings, taking your dead skin along with it.
Most gommage peels contain enzymes which act as the exfoliating agents. The Daily Botanicals Enzyme Peel contains Pineapple and Papaya enzymes and extracts to exfoliate dull skin and unclog pores gently.
The inclusion of Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract works to protect the skin with its antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. This helps to make the product suitable for even very sensitive or acne prone skin.
After using it, your skin will feel softer and smoother, and over time, if done consecutively, dark spots and acne scars will begin to fade as dead skin cells are removed and new skin cells are pushed to the surface.
To use the peel:
- After toner, apply adequate amount onto moistened face or neck.
- Let sit for about 30 seconds to 1 minute to allow the enzymes to break down dead skin cells.
- Gently rub to exfoliate and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Use 1-2 times a week depending on skin type
The Double Peel is a chemical exfoliant. Chemical exfoliants work differently from gommage peels or traditional physical peels like scrubs.
A chemical peel is a skin exfoliant with a pH of around 2.0. Chemical Peels typically contain acids called AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) and BHAs (Beta Hydroxy Acids). These are chemical exfoliants that remove dead skin cells from the top layer of your skin.
AHAs work by reducing the concentration of calcium ions in the skin which promotes the shedding of surface-level skin cells (If you’ve heard of Glycolic or Lactic Acid, you’ve heard of AHas)
BHAs do much of the same, but they provide antibacterial benefits. One BHA you’re probably already familiar with is Salicylic Acid, commonly used to treat acne.
Chemical Peeling with such acids provide a variety of benefits for our skin. They can reduce fine lines and wrinkles, revive dull skin, remove dark spots, reduce the appearance of enlarged pores, and even improve acne.
This product has an optimum AHA:BHA ratio of 24.5% AHA to 0.5% BHA. It also contains panthenol to soothe, moisturize, and calm inflammation.
To use the Double Peel:
- After toner, apply an adequate amount on the skin (avoid the eye areas)
- Let sit for 1-2 minutes if you have normal skin, 2-3 minutes for oily skin, and 30 secs – 1 min for senstive skin.
- Use once a week, or according to your skin type.
You might be wondering, “what is the difference between an ampoule and a serum?” or even “why do I need to use an ampoule in the first place?” Well, an ampoule is essentially a super extra potent serum that targets a specific skin concern. You might only use an ampoule on occasions when your skin feels particularly dry and use a serum twice daily.
OxygenCeuticals’ Fluid Line contains six powerful targeted ampoules that aid in every skin concern. We have a few ampoules helpful for textured skin.
OxygenCeuticals’ official hydrating fluid, the Acell-300 creates a protective, non-drying moisture layer to give the skin a natural glow. How do we know it works? The name Acell-300 isn’t just talk. This contains the patented ingredient “ACELL 300 COMPLEX.” This was created as a result of 300 tests and research projects to find an ingredient with long-lasting hydration.
The ACELL 300 COMPLEX is made up of several botanical ingredients specifically chosen for their hydrating power: Althaea Rosea Flower Extracts, Polygonum Cuspidatum Root Extracts, Monnieri Fruit Extracts, Prunella Vulgaris Leaf Extracts, and Capric Glycerides.
To use this fluid:
- Apply 1-2 drops on clean skin before applying serum/essence.
- Massage into the skin and let absorb.
- We recommend mixing this fluid with our Moisture Aqua Serum for easier application and deeper hydration. It can also be used as a base for dewy makeup.
This is OxygenCeuticals’ main acne-targeted ampoule. It’s a very gentle solution formulated with Salicylic Acid for mild exfoliation of dead skin cells. It also contains Sodium PCA for maintaining moisture in the skin.
However, its patented ‘Anti-Acne Complex’ made up of Terminalia Chebula Fruit Extract, Caesalpinia Sappan Bark Extract, and Magnolia Obovata Bark Extract relieves skin troubles like acne. These herbal ingredients work to soothe and relieve inflammation on the skin while purifying and controlling sebum production.
To use the Herbal Fluid:
- Apply 1-2 drops on clean skin before applying serum/essence.
- Massage into the skin and let absorb.
- Use with Purifying Kit to amplify effect.
- Use as spot treatment after acne extraction.
Our next step seems obvious! Serum! A skin serum is a light, easily absorbed liquid that you spread on your skin for extra nutrients, moisture, etc. A serum can even have multiple functions! OxygenCeuticals’ line of serums certainly does.
OxygenCeuticals’ Moisture Aqua Serum is a light, hydrating serum that creates an oil-water balance in the skin. This serum is not only packed with Hyaluronic Acid and Jojoba Oil, which make it so moisturizing, it also contains Arginine and Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract. Arginine is a great antioxidant that controls the skin pH balance while Camellia Sinensis smooths the skin and repairs damage.
This serum works wonders when used together with the Acell-300 Fluid. We actually offer the two products in a quick and easy kit for those who want to try it out before buying the full size products. This is the Acell Moisture Kit! A must have serum set for anyone suffering with dry skin.
To use the serum:
- At the serum step, apply an adequate amount to the face.
- Pat gently onto the skin until it is absorbed.
- For best results, mix with a fluid that matches your skin concern! (For dry skin, mix with the Acell-300 Fluid!)
- We also recommend using the B5 Gel along with the products listed above if you are concerned with fine lines and wrinkles!
One of the newest members of the OxygenCeuticals’ family is the ReGenon Serum. Officially marketed as an anti-aging serum, this serum is much more.
Containing 20,000ppm of Idebenone, this serum has serious antioxidant power! Considered to be 4x more powerful than Vitamin C, Idebenone evens out skin tone and improves hyperpigmentation.
Other ingredients like the Superberry Complex, made up of apples, grapes, pomegranates, palm beans, western plums, peaches, and watermelons work to protect the skin from external environmental hazards like fine dust and pollution.
The Oil Complex and Amino Acid 17 Complex supply nutrients to skin cells to maintain moisture and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
This serum is not limited to use on mature skin. In fact, the earlier the better. Using antioxidant serums can prevent skin aging while improving the common issues of younger skin, such as acne and pigmentation.
To use the ReGenon Serum:
- Apply an appropriate amount to the skin.
- Gently tap into the skin until fully absorbed.
- Use with ReGenon Cream for enhanced anti-oxidative and hydrating effects.
Another popular vitamin serum, the B5 Gel is a super absorbant, vitamin-rich, anti-aging serum pack with vitamin B5 and other moisturizing factors to keep the skin feeling soft and smooth!
Formulated with Panthenol, a form of vitamin B5, to soothe and smooth the skin. This serum also contains anti-aging agent, Adenosine. Adenosine improves skin elasticity, smooths out wrinkles, and keeps the skin looking youthful. Adenosine works by activating fibroblasts in the skin, which secrete collagen proteins and heal wounds.
This serum contains both Hyaluronic Acid and Honeysuckle Extracts to hydrate and maintain moisture content deep within the skin layers for longer.
To use the B5 Gel:
- Apply 1-2 drops of the serum to the skin.
- Pat gently until absorbed.
6. Facial Masks
What fun would skincare be if we couldn’t just plop a mask on our face, get something to drink, and chill on our couch while the mask does its magic?
Depending on the type of mask, it should come either before or after moisturizers. Sheet Masks should come before creams or moisturizers, while clay masks should come before any ampoule or serums.
Let’s see what kind of masks OxygenCeuticals has for those struggling with skin texture.
This sheet is crafted with soft cotton and eucalyptus fibers mixed in an optimal ratio to rest gently on the skin without itchiness or irritation. Designed to be used directly after dermatological treatments, this mask accelerates damaged skin recovery. It also contains DNA to enhance skin cell regeneration and ceramide to strengthen the skin barriers.
If you have sensitive skin and want some relief, the PP mask can provide instant calming to your skin.
To use the PP Mask:
- Remove the mask from its package.
- Apply the mask on the face.
- Leave the mask for 10-20 minutes.
- After removing the mask, gently tap the skin to help the remaining serum absorb fully into the skin.
- Layer with PP Cream for maximum recovery.
Developed to deeply hydrate, cool, and visibly plump the skin, the OxygenCeuticals Modeling Mask is a professional-grade mask used in dermatology clinics and spas. The system is designed to create an occlusive barrier, loaded with humectants to seal in hydration, while the algae extracts and botanicals extract complex cool and calm the skin. Hyaluronic acid instantly creates the appearance of plumper skin and seals in moisture for lasting hydration.
The RT Mask moisturizes and soothes the skin after a procedure. Its active ingredient is corn starch which prevents moisture from evaporating off the skin. First layer the face with serum or another light cream mask and follow with the RT Mask to seal in all the goodies from the first products.
To use the RT Mask:
- Apply a fluid of choice.
- Layer with RT Mask on top.
- Leave on 15-30 minutes.
- Remove when dry
For Dry Skin:
- Mix HA Gel and Toning Gel OR use Amazing Base Cream to create a deeply moisturizing face mask.
- Layer with RT Mask on top.
- Leave on 15-30 minutes.
- Remove when dry
- Rinse Moisture Mask mixture with lukewarm water.
For Oily/Acne Skin:
- Mix Clarifying Mask and Toning Gel together and apply to the skin.
- Layer with RT Mask on top.
- Leave on for 15-30 minutes.
- Remove when dry.
- Rinse Clarifying Mask mixture with lukewarm water.
No skincare routine would be complete without a kaolin clay mask, right? OxygenCeutical’s Clarifying Mask is a skin-purifying wash-off mask that delivers unparalleled control of excessive sebum while also brightening and soothing the skin.
Containing Tocopheryl Acetate, a form of Vitamin E, this mask can sooth inflamed skin and acne, but also provide anti-oxidative effects that leave the skin looking immediately brighter after just one use.
Kaolin Clay works to control sebum protection and prevent acne formation, while Ceramide provides moisture to the skin. The mask leaves your skin feeling cool and clean after use, and you can literally see improvements in redness immediately.
To use the Clarifying Mask:
- Apply evenly to the skin with a brush or spatula.
- Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash off the mask with lukewarm water
- For extra soothing effects and longer wearability, mix the Clarifying Mask with Toning Gel in a 1:1 ratio before appliability.
Aloe Vera is probably the have-all, be-all of skincare ingredients. It calms, it heals, it smooths, it moisturizes…there seems like there’s nothing it can’t do to help your skin.
Studies show that continued use of Aloe Vera gel on the skin can help improve skin texture, increase elasticity, and reduce signs of aging.
Since Aloe Vera is anti-inflammatory, it can soothe and heal irritated, red skin that manifests in acne or chapped patches. It also locks in moisture to the skin by acting as a glue keeping the skin cells bonded together. This makes it perfect for anyone suffering from bumpy or uneven skin.
To use the Soothing Aloe Vera Gel:
- Apply an adequate amount to the skin.
- Pat and massage gently until absorbed.
- Can be used as an ultrasonic base gel or soothing mask pack.
If you don’t like Aloe Vera Gel, you can try out a few of our other moisturizers instead. If you want extra antioxidative power, try the ReGenon Cream. For sensitive skin, try the Skin Barrier Ato Cream or Couperose Cream.
8. Sun Care
Exposure to sunlight is one of main causes of skin damage. Leaving skin vulnerable to UV rays can accelerate aging or make dark spots look worse. If you have textured skin, then sun care is imperative to improving your skin’s surface.
Choosing the best sunscreen for your skin is essential to keeping it healthy and youthful! OxygenCeuticals has two great options for suncare. Let’s see what they are!
This super lightweight sun screen protects your skin from UVA and UVB sun rays to prevent sun damage like dark spots, sun spots, premature aging, and even more dangerous conditions.
It’s a unique combination of mineral and chemical sun filters to ensure your skin is protected from all angles. This sunscreen absorbs flawlessly into the skin without any white cast or greasiness. It also smells really good (but maybe that’s only important to me).
Let’s not forget its bonus benefits! Vitamin E in the formula protects the skin’s moisture barrier and keeps nasty environmental hazards from sticking to the skin. Hyaluronic Acid keeps the skin hydrated and Allantoin soothes and calms skin. Sounds like the perfect formula for a summer sunscreen.
To use the TP Sun Cream:
- Apply an adequate amount to the skin. (Try two fingerlengths of cream, or a teaspoon amount)
- Use a the final step in your daily skincare routine.
- Or finish with Intensive Blemish Balm to reveal healthy, glowing skin.
If you need a sunscreen with more ‘oomph’, try the Leport’s Sunblock. This sunscreen can be used on both your face and body, so all bases are covered. This waterproof formula is perfect for anyone who plays sports or lives an active outdoor lifestyle.
Completely invisible after application, it’ll provide moisture to your skin as well as keep it safe.
Another combination sunscreen with both mineral and chemical filters, it also contains Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, and Aloe Vera Leaf Juice Powder for soothing benefits.
- Apply an adequate amount to the skin (for the face: about two fingerlengths).
- Pat it evenly onto the skin until invisible.
- For extra sun protection and some skin evening action, try out OxygenCeuticals Intensive Blemish Balm and O2 Cushion as an everyday makeup combo.
The Intensive Blemish Balm is a multi-functional BB Cream that provides a natural coverage for clear-looking skin. Light-weight, this BB Cream makes a perfect base for anyone looking to avoid heavy, dragging makeup along the skin.
It’s not just a makeup product though! It also contains peptides and beta-glucan to protect the skin against harmful external factors. Witch Hazel Extracts promotes the skin cell cycle to speed up skin recovery after a procedure and Centella Asiatica Leaf Extracts soothe and calm distressed skin.
To use the Intensive Blemish Balm:
- Apply an adequate amount after TP Sun Cream.
- Spread gently onto the skin and blend.
9. Skincare Kits
Some of our best products come in the form of sets. I mean, doesn’t everyone love to save money on their skincare? OxygenCeuticals offers several ‘kits’ for various skin concerns, containing two or three products in one package to make it easier for you to organize your own skin regimen.
Here are some of OxygenCeuticals’ best Skincare Kits for textured skin!
We love a customized skincare set. Our Ceutisome Trial Kits can be mixed and matched to create the perfect ampoule solution for your specific skin type and skin concern.
The Ceutisome O Trial Kit contains the Ceutisome Oilycom Ampoule, the O-Booster, and the Ceutisome Stem Formula.
The combination of the Oilycom Ampoule and O-Booster helps to relieve acne and achieve healthy skin by soothing and boosting skin renewal activity.
It’s three main ingredients all work together for ultimate acne treatment. Tryptophan normalizes the skin regeneration cycle, Citrus Callus Extract provides concentrated treatment care to affected areas, and sh-Oligo peptide-3 enhances the skin protection layer to keep skin safe.
Adding the Stem Formula into the mix ensures maximum absorbtion. The Stem Formula, an O2 carrier, purifies the skin by removing carbon dioxide and supplying oxygen. It also accelerates healing and inhibits signs of aging by activing the metabolism of skin cells.
You can also buy another Trial Kit and mix with the O Trial Kit to get customized results. If you have dry and blemished skin, try mixing with the H Trial Kit. For blemished and pigmented skin, mix with the P Trial Kit. Finally, if you want anti-aging benefits alongside acne care, mix with the W Trial Kit.
To Use the O Trial Kit:
- Combine the Booster and Stem Formula together with the Ceutisome Ampoule (pour the booster and stem formula into the ampoule bottle).
- Shake well and apply 1/3 of the mixure onto the skin.
- For use as an ampoule, pat until fully absorbed.
- Apply and then use the MTS Nano Pen for an ampoule infusion treatment at home.
If you’re not absolutely sure about some of these products yet. We have great “starter kits” that will let you get a peek at the good they can do for your skin. For sensitive skin, we offer the CC Starter Kit!
Very simple to use, sans cleansing, it provides a full skincare regimen for you so you don’t have to fret over making up your own.
After cleansing, preferably with OxygenCeuticals’ Purifying Foaming Wash or Gentle Facial Cleansing Lotion, apply the Skin Balancing Toner to soothe redness and balance the skin to its natural pH level. Afterwards, apply the Couperose Fluid for a boost of moisture and calming power. Finally use the Couperose Cream to lock in that moisture while its botanical ingredients reduces inflammation on the skin.
To use the CC Starter Kit:
- Cleanse with Purifying Foaming Wash or Gentle Facial Cleansing Lotion.
- Apply Skin Balancing Toner onto the skin with a cotton pad.
- Apply 1-2 drops of Couperose Fluid and pat gently until absorbed.
- Finish with an adequate amount of Couperose Cream. Pat until absorbed.
- Optional : Use the Ceutisome CC Mask after the Couperose Fluid and before cream for extra cooling and calming effect.
Textured skin may make you feel like your skin is rough or dirty, but it’s a pretty simple problem to fix. OxygenCeuticals has plenty of different options that can work wonders to defeat the root causes of uneven skin texture.
Whether it be from aging, pollution, sebum, dead skin cells, or sun damage, OxygenCeuticals has a solution for your skin!
Until next time!