There are all different opinions about skincare, but I think we’ve all heard EVERY dermatologist repeat one thing.
What is SPF? Why does it matter? Why do we need it? And how does OxygenCeuticals do it?
Let’s dive behind the science of sun care and see why it’s so important to keep our skin not only looking great, but feeling great. Sun care is more than just skincare afterall, it’s health care!
The Science Behind Sunscreen
Sunscreen begins and ends at protecting our skin from the sun.
The science behind sunscreen is rooted in our understanding of the damaging effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on the skin. Human beings have long understood that longterm sun exposure can do a number on our skin, be it sunburn, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, or worse.
The history of sunscreen dates back centuries, with ancient civilizations using various natural substances like rice bran, jasmine, and olive oil to protect their skin from the sun’s harsh rays. However, it wasn’t until the early 20th century that scientists began to unravel the true science behind sun protection.
The miracle of sunscreen can be credited to two scientists, Franz Greiter and Benjamin Green, using a mixture of cocoa butter and red veterinary petroleum in order to protect WWII soldiers from over exposure to the sun. Greiter then went on to create the Sun Protection Factor rating (or SPF) that we still use today.
Understanding How Sunscreen Works
Originally, sunscreens primarily relied on physical barriers to provide protection against the sun’s rays. These early formulations contained ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which acted as a physical shield on the surface of the skin.
These minerals effectively reflected and scattered both UVA and UVB rays, preventing them from penetrating the skin and causing damage. The thick, opaque consistency of these sunscreens often left a visible white film on the skin (now referred to as ‘white cast’) which was a trade-off for their sun-protective properties.
Over the years, significant advancements have been made in formulating sunscreens with a better understanding of UV radiation, resulting in the development of broad-spectrum sunscreens with enhanced efficacy and improved cosmetic elegance. Today, sunscreen products utilize a combination of physical and chemical filters, antioxidants, and other innovative ingredients to provide comprehensive protection against both UVA and UVB rays, helping to safeguard the skin from sunburn, premature aging, and the risk of skin cancer.
UVA and UVB rays are types of ultraviolet radiation emitted by the sun. While they both contribute to sunburn and can damage the skin, they have slightly different characteristics and effects.
UVA rays are longer in wavelength and can penetrate deep into the skin’s layers. They are present throughout the day, even on cloudy days, and can pass through glass. UVA rays are known to cause premature aging signs like wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots. They can also suppress the immune system and play a role in the development of certain types of skin cancer.
On the other hand, UVB rays have shorter wavelengths and primarily affect the outer layers of the skin. These rays are more intense during midday and can vary in intensity depending on the season and location. UVB rays are the primary cause of sunburn and are known to contribute to the development of skin cancer. They can also lead to skin reddening, peeling, and the formation of dark spots over time.
Introducing OxygenCeuticals’ TP Sun Cream
OxygenCeuticals TP Sun Cream is your ultimate defense against harmful UV rays. This high-performance sunscreen is specially formulated to provide broad-spectrum protection, shielding your skin from both UVA and UVB rays.
Infused with advanced filters and antioxidants, the TP Sun Cream not only prevents sunburn but also helps to minimize the risk of premature aging and sun damage.
Its lightweight and non-greasy formula absorbs quickly into the skin, leaving a smooth and matte finish.
- Titanium Dioxide
- Sun Protection: Titanium dioxide is a mineral sunscreen agent that provides broad-spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays. It forms a physical barrier on the skin’s surface, reflecting and scattering the sun’s rays to prevent them from penetrating the skin. This helps to protect the skin from sunburn, photoaging, and the risk of skin cancer.
- Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate
- Sun Protection: Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate is a UVB filter that helps to protect the skin from the harmful effects of sun exposure. It absorbs UVB rays, which are responsible for sunburn and contribute to skin damage and premature aging. By incorporating products with Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, such as sunscreens or moisturizers with SPF, you can provide your skin with an additional layer of sun protection.
- Sodim Hyaluronate
- Deep Hydration: Sodium hyaluronate has the remarkable ability to hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water. When applied topically, it draws moisture from the environment and delivers it to the skin, providing intense hydration. This helps to improve the skin’s moisture levels, resulting in a plump, supple, and well-hydrated complexion.
- Skin Soothing and Calming: Allantoin has soothing and anti-irritant properties, making it suitable for sensitive and reactive skin. It helps to alleviate skin redness, inflammation, and irritation caused by various factors such as environmental aggressors, UV radiation, and harsh skincare ingredients. Allantoin can provide a calming effect, promoting overall skin comfort.
- Vitamin E
- Antioxidant Protection: Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant that helps protect the skin from free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can cause damage to cells and contribute to premature aging. By neutralizing free radicals, Vitamin E helps to reduce oxidative stress and maintain the overall health and appearance of the skin.
For a limited time, get a free Soothing Aloe Vera Gel when you purchase our Sunkissed TP Sun Kit!
Sun Care Travel Kit
This Set Contains
– 1.69 fl.oz / 50ml TP Sun Cream
– 0.5 fl.oz / 15ml TP Sun Cream (travel size) x2
Created with natural healing properties of aloe and algae, this moisturizer helps calm inflammation and strengthens the skin’s natural ability to maintain a healthy balance.
For complete summer care, before and after the sun!
July 1st ~ July 14th